Associate Attorney Advisor
back to careers
An AEquitas Associate Attorney Advisor works closely with experienced prosecutors and other allied professionals committed to improving the quality of justice in sexual violence, intimate partner violence, stalking, and human trafficking cases. They have the opportunity to not only participate in but also drive criminal justice reform in innovative, informed, and practical ways that allows for unique insight into the field of gender-based violence. An Associate Attorney Advisor researches the latest case law and legislation on issues related to the prosecution of sexual violence, intimate partner violence, stalking, human trafficking, and related crimes. An Associate Attorney Advisor also provides technical assistance and case consultation to prosecutors and allied professionals; develops training materials and participates in training events; and synthesizes research and contributes to resources, training materials, and other legal publications. Associate Attorney Advisors are “on call” for technical assistance 24 hours a day for one week on a rotating basis and are expected to travel nationally, as needed. The Associate Attorney Advisor reports directly to the Senior Associate Attorney Advisor and the primary duties and responsibilities are bulleted below:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write, review, edit, and contribute to legal and non-legal publications and other documents, to include assisting other AEquitas Attorneys and staff with research and review, facilitating internal and external peer review, and reviewing print layout and online publication.
- Work with the other AEquitas Attorneys and staffto develop statutory compilations, oversee and support intern research for compilations, contribute to analysis and organization of information and facilitate provision of statutory compilations as technical assistance.
- Develop AEquitas’ external library of resources. In partnership with other AEquitas Attorneys and staff,collect and organize resources on an ongoing basis.
- Assist other AEquitas Attorneys and staffwith preparing and facilitating trainings for international, national, state, and local multidisciplinary audiences by conducting and coordinating research of case law, legislation, policies, practices, and emerging issues.
- Develop, review, and edit PowerPoints, including live and web-based training materials and curricula.
- Work with AEquitas Attorneys and staffto conduct research for technical assistance requests and facilitate intern research for assistance.
- Work one-on-one with prosecutors and allied professionals to provide information and resources aimed at enhancing and refining their knowledge.
- Represent the organization at meetings and other events hosted by governmental and non-governmental entities.
- Work in partnership with a national network of prosecutors and other allied professionals.
- Contribute to the development of proposals for training events, grant solicitations, and other relevant projects.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships by conducting outreach to prosecutors and other allied professionals.
- Participate in the recruitment, hiring, and management of interns and mentor interns.
- Contribute to existing social media accounts for AEquitas (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Complete special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
- J.D. and state bar eligibility required, membership of applicable state bar preferred.
- Substantive, specialized knowledge and experience in prosecution of gender-based violence cases and human trafficking.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as good judgment.
- Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work efficiently within time constraints and deadlines.
- Ability to use a computer to draft documents, perform research, and communicate with staff and other individuals.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Proposal writing and grant management experience helpful.
- Cultural humility and an ability to work well with individuals and groups from diverse populations and organizations.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, salary history with salary requirements, curricula vitae, a writing sample, and a list of references to email@example.com
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.