back to careers
An AEquitas Attorney Advisor serves as an expert technical assistance provider to prosecutors and allied justice professionals through the provision
of training, direct assistance, research, resources, multidisciplinary collaboration, as well as the writing of articles. An Attorney Advisor researches the latest case law and
legislation on issues related to the prosecution of stalking, sexual violence, intimate partner violence, human trafficking, and related crimes. An Attorney Advisor also identifies
innovative programs, procedures, and strategies; provides technical assistance and case consultation to prosecutors and allied criminal justice professionals; develops materials and
provides training for local, state, national, and international audiences; and synthesizes research to write articles and contribute to resources, training materials, and other legal
publications. Attorney Advisors are "on call" for technical assistance 24 hours a day for one week on a rotating basis and are expected to travel both nationally and
internationally as needed. All Attorney Advisors report directly to the AEquitas Director.
Knowledge and Abilities
- J.D. and state or federal bar membership.
- Significant criminal prosecution experience, including jury trial experience, at the state or local level (5+ years preferred).
- Substantive, specialized knowledge and experience in prosecution of stalking, intimate partner violence, sexual violence, and/or human trafficking cases.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as good judgment.
- Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws.
- Strong teaching and training experience.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work efficiently within time constraints and deadlines.
- Ability to use a computer to draft documents, perform research, and communicate with staff and allied professionals.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Proposal writing and grant management experience helpful.
- Sensitivity and ability to collaboratively work with individuals and groups from diverse populations and organizations.
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team environment by fostering positive working relationships among peers.
Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conduct and coordinate research of case law, legislation, policies, practices, and emerging issues related to the prosecution of sexual violence, intimate partner violence, stalking, and human trafficking.
- Write, review, edit, and contribute to legal and non-legal publications and other documents.
- Develop and recommend resources for use by prosecutors and allied professionals.
- Conduct and coordinate legal and technical assistance including individual case consultation.
- Develop, review, and edit live and web-based training materials and curricula.
- Develop and deliver presentations for international, national, state, and local multidisciplinary audiences.
- Develop and participate in the execution of trial advocacy training.
- Represent the organization at meetings and other events hosted by the federal government and other international, national, state, or local entities.
- Work one-on-one with prosecutors and allied professionals to provide information and resources aimed at enhancing and refining their knowledge related to the prosecution of violence against women.
- Work in partnership with a national network of prosecutors and other professionals from allied fields.
- Contribute to the development of proposals for training events, grant solicitations, and other relevant projects.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships by conducting outreach to prosecutors and other allied professionals.
- Complete special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Average travel time is approximately 10-14 days per month, but could be significantly more depending on program requirements.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, compensation requirements, curricula vitae, a writing sample, and a list of references to email@example.com.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
AEquitas is an equal opportunity employer.